Monday, October 25, 2010

Home found and southward bound

The NSW leg of the tour has begun but not before we completed our last two shows in Qld.

The first was at the QPAC Concert Hall in our home of Brisbane. The crowd were quietly intimidating, lurking silently in the darkness just beyond the stage. Frighteningly aware that they were there, I went stiff as a board, with only a glass of wine to comfort me through the anxiety of playing on home ground. I took my first sip and upon returning the glass to the carpeted floor, it smashed into what seemed like a million tiny chards.

I honestly have no idea how this happened. I placed it there so softly and carefully, only to have it disintegrate in my palms. It's like the hand of God himself had smashed the glass, passing his uncensored judgement on my enthusiastic drinking habits of the past few weeks.

For the rest of the set all I could think was 'now I will always be remembered as that trashbag that slashed up Sarah Blasko's feet in Brisbane'. Luckily our super crew had a vacuum nearby and were able to quickly clean up the good Lord's handy work.

Gold coast came after, offering a jovial Friday night crowd. I was surprised when one of the burly bouncers liked Seja's set and particularly my performance enough to want to shake my hand. It was a bit weird that he didn't have the same reaction to Renae (our drummer), who was standing right beside me. This is when I realised that he actually thought that I was Blasko. Renae informed me afterwards that he was calling out 'Sarah! Sarah!' in the lead up to the compliment but that I didn't hear him before he had grabbed me.

It's no wonder that upon receiving some complimentary feedback the next evening in Byron I responded with 'you do know I'm not Sarah, don't you?'. This time it was indeed for me. Unfortunately, I fear I may have come across as an epic wanker for assuming that they thought I looked like the gorgeous Blazzie. Oh man.

Day off today, relaxing at my friends Brett and Jenny's home in Lennox Head. It is affectionately known as Rancho Relaxo, and certainly lives up to its name. Early night tonight, off to Tamworth at dawn tomorrow.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment